Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Talk Hard

As I watched the ending credits of the movie Pump Up The Volume (with Christian Slater and Samantha Mathis) I began to ponder as to what exactly happened to the X generation and the subsequent "Y" generation, or as the movie refers to it – whether intentionally or not – as the ""Why bother generation".

Was it just me that grew up so disillusioned with the whole system, and the inequalities that it was wrought with? Weren't we all going to grow up and change all that for the better so that our kids wouldn't have to put up with all the crap? And yet, here we sit, with mortgages, low monthly payments, our morning $3.25 coffee fix, and gas at the same price.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm also paying my three bucks for coffee (though not every morning), but as I look around me I see a lot of the same disillusionment that we had growing up. In so many ways so much had already been done by the time we came around. So what's next?

Well... What if...

What if we actually drank tea one morning instead of coffee, and too the time to go to a park somewhere to just sit and ponder our lives for just 30 minutes as a starter. What if we looked at all the things that comprise our lives, and began to actually pay attention to what was just noise, and what was actual tangible stuff? The irony there is that the truly tangible stuff in life is not tangible at all. Love, friendships, that feeling that on a Sunday afternoon you have someone to call up and just to talk to. That's the stuff that matters, and yet, all the truly intangible stuff that matters in life is what we become obsessed with.

What if we decided to realize the fact that you can be a realist and a true pragmatist about life and living in its true sense? Do you really need to check e-mail between 7 and 9 when your kids are awake and wanting to engage? I can vividly remember my son's first word – it was "help" but that's another story – I can remember the smell of his hair, and his laugh, and yet, I cannot for the life of me remember how many e-mails I sent out last week or exactly what was said in them. So, what if truly tangible?

What if we remembered all the things that we swore we would do when we were in our teens and still pissed off enough at the world to want to get involved?

What if we realized that we are beyond the "too young to take over, but too old to ignore" years, and are now in a position to actually get some things done?

What if we re-framed our notion of what is truly tangible and what is not?

What if we started doing those things right now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: This blog is intended to house my opinions and observations on the world as I see it. Although my arguments may come from the more emotional realm I do try to apply as much fact as I have available to me at the time of writing. I am not writing an encyclopedia here, I am writing opinions. Av
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: