Tuesday, March 18, 2008

iPhone

So, after much anticipation, Apple finally unveiled the latest offering from the Wonka factory of technology. Apple's own Willy Wonka, surrounded by khaki and mock-neck laden IT oompa-loompas unveiled the latest flavour with all the flare, and exultation that we have become accustomed to at least once a year from Apple.

The website touts that Apple has reinvented the phone. I must say that I agree. The only thing is that the phone does not live in a vacuum. It still needs connectivity. So, really, they have not added a phone, so much as crammed a PSP into the form factor of an iPod (more or less) and added a phone with touch screen capabilities. What Apple should have also done is to reinvent the cell phone business model.

In discussion, a friend brought up a good point... when in wi-fi areas, why not use VoIP? That would be a coup for sure. But then Cingular would get its knickers in a twist because they would not be making money. So, again, good job Apple on reinventing the phone, but why not commit to the whole thing and reinvent the industry as well. Apple has no qualms in saying that it did that with iTunes and the music industry. Alas, maybe time will tell.

In the meantime, I see things getting bigger before they get smaller. Surely everyone will now be coming in droves with their latest incarnation of a newly fully integrated personal media center. But, as technology becomes smaller once again, it will not be too long before we find ourselves shouting, "Honey, have you seen my phone!"

This revolution will take place in the palm of my hand... eventually.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: This blog is intended to house my opinions and observations on the world as I see it. Although my arguments may come from the more emotional realm I do try to apply as much fact as I have available to me at the time of writing. I am not writing an encyclopedia here, I am writing opinions. Av
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: